In this Topical Zoom episode, I speak with Patrick McGinnis, an entrepreneur, venture capitalist and the author of The 10% Entrepreneur about the 10% Entrepreneur mindset and how someone can get started with a side project.
Who is Patrick McGinnis?
Patrick J. McGinnis is a venture capitalist and private equity investor who founded Dirigo Advisors, after a decade on Wall Street, to provide strategic advice to investors, entrepreneurs, and fast growing businesses. He is the author of The 10% Entrepreneur, published by Penguin books. He also writes for Business Insider, Huffington Post, Boston Magazine, and Forbes. Patrick is credited by Boston Magazine with coining the term “FOMO” or “fear of missing out,” a term made popular by Millennials and digital junkies, that was added to the Oxford Dictionary in 2013. Patrick is a graduate of Harvard Business School and Georgetown University and lives in New York City.
What you will learn – 10% entrepreneur and more!
- Can you tell us about your 10% entrepreneur story? How did it all start?
- Is there something common between FOMO and the 10% entrepreneur mindset? In other words, do you think it’s the fear of missing out that makes someone a 10% entrepreneur?
- How have you seen the most successful 10% entrepreneurs pick their side-projects?
- How much of an impact does personal strengths and skills have on the side-project one chooses to invest their resources in?
- Very often when I speak to people about side-projects, I have realized that people have a confusion as to what ‘qualifies’ to be a side-project. Some ask if blogging is a side-project. What’s your take?
- From your experience talking to entrepreneurs and investing, what are the kinds of 10% entrepreneurs you’ve come across?
- Patrick McGinnis on the interweb
- Free Ebook: Build Your 10 (patrickmcginnis.com/buildyour10/)
- Patrick’s book
- The 10% Entrepreneur (click here to buy on Amazon)
Getting Started & Resources
- Get Started with Design Your Thinking (click here)
- Handpicked Resources (click here)