In this Topical Zoom episode, I speak with Patrick McGinnis, an entrepreneur, venture capitalist and the author of The 10% Entrepreneur about how you can go about starting your first side-project and becoming a 10% entrepreneur.
Who is Patrick McGinnis?
Patrick J. McGinnis is a venture capitalist and private equity investor. At Dirigo Advisors, after a decade on Wall Street, to provide strategic advice to investors, entrepreneurs, and fast growing businesses. He is the author of The 10% Entrepreneur, published by Penguin books. He also writes for Business Insider, Huffington Post, Boston Magazine, and Forbes. Patrick is credited by Boston Magazine with coining the term “FOMO” or “fear of missing out,” a term made popular by Millennials and digital junkies, that was added to the Oxford Dictionary in 2013. Patrick is a graduate of Harvard Business School and Georgetown University and lives in New York City.
What you will learn – 10% entrepreneur and more!
- What are some of the biggest mistakes you’ve made (and seen other people make) when it comes to becoming a 10% entrepreneur?
- I’ve seen many people struggle managing their ‘resources’ like time, money, attention, etc. As 10% entrepreneurs, these ‘resources’ are going to be super important. Let’s take ‘time’ for instance – how have you seen the best 10% entrepreneurs manage their time?
- Entrepreneurship is not just the idea of starting and running a business, but also about taking ‘risk’. You are now a VC and invest in companies / founders. Would you invest money or your time in a business where the founder is a 10% entrepreneur?
- How do you see Venture Capital and investing change if the world had a lot more 10% entrepreneurs seeking investment?
- What’s your advice for people who are at this point thinking of taking the next step in taking up a side-project and living the life of a 10% entrepreneur?
- Patrick McGinnis on the interweb
- The 10% Entrepreneur Mindset | Patrick McGinnis (click here to listen)
- Patrick’s book
- The 10% Entrepreneur (click here to buy on Amazon)
Getting Started & Resources
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Stitcher | TuneIn |