In this episode, Jody Steinhauer talks about why you should build a business centered around happiness, raising 5 kids, and growing a multi-million dollar business empire.
Who is Jody Steinhauer?
As President and CBO (Chief Bargain Officer) of the Bargains Group, Jody Steinhauer has mobilized her award-winning discount wholesale and promotional products company to revolutionize the business landscape.
As a Canadian female entrepreneur, Jody uses her network of resources and leveraged buying power to aid every company and not-for-profit agency that she touches to maximize their buying dollar. Since 1988, Jody has grown Bargains Group from her apartment to a multi-million-dollar-a-year business. She is also often sought out for speaking engagements due to her successful entrepreneurial business experience, and has been featured in various media outlets, and is an official Huffington Post blogger.
Pioneering her belief of “giving back makes good business sense”, Jody is a tireless not-for-profit advocate, and the founder of the national charity, Engage and Change, and its two annual initiatives, Project Winter Survival and Project Water. Through these projects, Engage and Change helps thousands of homeless throughout Toronto and the surrounding area survive the extreme weather conditions while engaging and enabling citizens of all ages to donate their time to their local community through sponsored group engagement events.
Jody’s business has expanded to include a social enterprise wing: Kits for a Cause. With a focus on social impact, Jody has built a model for companies to support their local community. Kits for a Cause provides turn-key solutions for businesses to engage their employees while solving local community services’ needs for resources. Her model of “brokering goodness” has worked with some of the top industry leaders in both the corporate and philanthropic spheres.
Awards and Achievements
Jody’s achievements include: Toronto Region Board of Trade’s Business Leader of the Year Award, Rotman Canadian Woman Entrepreneur of the Year Award, Canada’s Top 40 Under 40, Toronto Board of Trade-Business Excellence Award, Kaufman Community Award, FLARE Magazine Volunteer of the Year-two time finalist, PPPC Award for Humanitarian of the Year, Women of Influence Local Hero Award, POWER Mentor Excellence Award, Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Culture Award-two time finalist, Canada’s Profit W100 Recipient, and recipient of the TD Paul Croutch Award. Jody is also the proud mom of two beautiful children.One of the biggest questions I ask is 'Are you open for feedback?', and people stop and think about that. Sometimes people don't want advice. They actually just want to dump, just listened to. And that's okay. @jodysteinhauer #coaching Click To Tweet
Why Should You Listen to Jody Steinhauer?
There are plenty of reasons why you should listen to Jody. Let me give the top 3:
- Jody started a business around bargaining because she wanted to make small business owners happy.
- She’s grown a multi-million dollar business, spent time doing philanthropy while being a mother and raising kids.
- Jody shares her thoughts on how you can build your life and business around happiness.
What You’ll Learn from this Interview?
Jody talks about a lot of things in this interview. Here are specific things you’ll learn:
- Jody talks about her entrepreneurial thinking as a kid selling flyers, making birthday presents, etc. (and buying her first car at 16 and registering her first company at 18)
- She talks about how her business began on the first place (even when she never wanted to start one!)
- Jody reminisces of how her family of professionals like doctors and lawyers weren’t appreciative of her entrepreneurial path.
- When asked about balancing life and kids, she talks about how she persisted through the early days of starting her company.
- She talks about her experience growing a business as a woman back in those days.
- She talks about how she hired her father to become her CFO!
- Jody talks about why you should build business and life around happiness.
and so much more!
How Can You Listen?
Jody’s interview is available in audio.
Direct Link to Audio
How to Get In Touch with Jody Steinhauer?
Company Website: www.bargainsgroup.com
Kits for a Cause: kitsforacause.com
Personal Website: jodysteinhauer.com
Join the Newsletter
I wanted to take a minute to tell you about my newsletter. If you happen to be running a business, or just getting started, I want to invite you to signup for my newsletter. Every week I share resources, stories, and conversations so we can exchange notes as we build our businesses. So if you are a business owner, entrepreneur or solopreneur, or whichever way you identify yourself, do signup for the newsletter at designyourthinking.com/newsletter.
Thanks for Listening!
Please do share your thoughts:
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one of them.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
Special thanks to Jody Steinhauer for taking the time to join me this week!