In this Ferris Wheel episode, I speak with the CEO of The 280 Group, Brian Lawley, to understand his journey from a Product Manager to a CEO, people who influenced him and the Product Mindset of a CEO.
Who is Brian Lawley?
Brian Lawley is the CEO and Founder of the 280 Group. He is the author of six best-selling books, Product Management for Dummies, Optimal Product Process, The Phenomenal Product Manager, Expert Product Management and 42 Rules of Product Management and is the former President of the Silicon Valley Product Management Association (SVPMA). He was awarded the Association of International Product Marketing Management Award for Thought Leadership in Product Management, and has been featured on World Business Review and the Silicon Valley Business Report.
Brian is the editor of the Optimal Product Management blog and newsletter. He also writes guest articles for publications such as the Software Development Forum newsletter, Softletter and the SVPMA newsletter. Prior to founding and running the 280 Group, Brian spent many years working on innovative products at world-leading companies. He worked for including Digidesign, Apple (as the Product Manager for the MacOS human interface), Claris, Symantec and Whistle Communications. Brian is a Certified Product Manager (CPM) and Certified Product Marketing Manager (CPMM). He has a bachelor’s degree in Management Science from the University of California at San Diego with a minor in Music Technology and an MBA with honors from San Jose State University.
What you will learn – the Product Mindset of a CEO and more!
- Who in your mind are the most unorthodox product managers and makers? Why? What do you think of them?
- The most impressive, lesser-known teachers in the Product Management space?
- What makes you different from other Product Managers & Marketers? Who are the people that’ve influenced you the most
- Have you trained or coached other product people to do what you are doing as a Product Management expert?
To be continued in Episode 91.
- Brian Lawley on the interwebs
- Twitter @brianlawley
- Oprimal Product Process Framework