In this episode, I sit down with Josh Rossi, a commercial photographer whose work has been popular amongst influencers and also kids. In this episode, Josh gets talking about a lot of things about his work, life, and how he built his career from the ground up.
Who is Josh Rossi?
“At Adobe, we get to work with some of the brightest digital artists in the world. Josh stands out among everyone I’ve ever worked with as the elite of the elite when it comes to what he can do with a camera, his Photoshop wizardry, and his visual sensibility.”
-Jeff Allen, Senior Director, Marketing, ADOBE-
Josh Rossi’s work can be seen on:
Forbes, Good Morning America, People Magazine, Billboard, Teen Vogue, The Wall Street Journal, The Huffington Post, Inside Edition, The Weather Channel, USA Today, Business Insider, Luerzer’s Archive 200 Best Digital Artists Worldwide 2014-2015, Buzzfeed, Gizmodo, Times Square, Ad Week, MSN NOW, Yahoo and Mashable.
His Client List includes:
DC Comics, Warner Bros, Adobe, Acura, LG, Nickelodeon, Champion USA, Xerox, Wacom, Mt Dew, Laura Pausini, Daymond John, Glenn Beck, Ray Fisher, Lindsey Stirling, SurfAir Airlines, Advanced Photoshop Magazine, Twinlab, The Color Run and Make A Wish Foundation.
Why Should You Listen to Josh Rossi?
There are plenty of reasons why you should listen to Josh Rossi. Let me give the top 3:
- He almost hit the rock bottom before he built his career with skills that he talks about in this interview.
- Josh touches upon the 3 key areas he sees a lot of photographers struggle. You should not miss this!
- He gets into a deeper conversation about life and success – reflecting upon a time when he struggled to pay for his own food.
What Does He Talk about in this Interview?
- Who are you and what you do?
- Can you describe that moment when you first discovered your obsession with art?
- What was the kind of relationship you had with your father as a 14-year old kid?
- Interning with a Film Production Company
- Joining the Miami Ad School
- How extreme did your obsession get, with retouching?
- 3 Issues being a Successful Artist today
- Do look to tell a story in every picture you create?
- You did not show your work to anyone for over a year…
- You got the word out. Is that the same way you get business today?
- What was the first big brand deal you did? Do you remember how that conversation went?
- What was the advice the expert from New York gave you?
- What is your process, when a new opportunity comes by?
- Can you tell the story behind the wonder woman series you created?
- What kind of an impact did the series have on you as a father?
- What do articles, LIKES, mean to you?
- The one thing you want to work on, that you never had a chance to do so far.
- What are the most defining moments in your life and career?
- What’s your definition of success?
- Why are you teaching all of this for reasons other than just profit?
- Can you talk about the software product that you recently came up with?
- Is it like Instagram with more features?
- What is that one question that you’d ask if you were me, sitting here and asking you these questions?
How Can You Listen?
Josh Rossi’s interview is available in audio.
Direct Link to Audio
How to Get In Touch with Josh Rossi?
YouTube: Photoshop Dad
This show is brought to you by Thrive Membership from Thrive Themes. Think about this. Back in the early 2000s, a lot of creative business owners started using Myspace to showcase their work and also grow their businesses. Jim, was one of them.
But in just a few years, Facebook arrived and a lot of these businesses, including Jim, found themselves in a deserted place and had to literally start from scratch. Jim lost all his leads, customer contacts, and everything else he had going on, inside Myspace. This is bound to happen when you rent a place…like a social media platform, to grow your business and brand.
Here’s something I want you to consider. Take full control of your business and your brand. Bring your customers and leads to your own website. And you can do it all by yourself, without having to spend thousands of dollars on a web agency.
thrive Membership by Thrive Themes can help you do just that. You can have your website, completely from scratch in just a few hours. Thrive Membership comes with a ton of readymade design templates, lets you collect email addresses and 11 powerful tools to build your business presence online. And for all of this, you pay just $19/month. Not a penny more. To learn more about Thrive Membership, go to designyourthinking.com/thrive. I use this personally, and if you have any questions, do drop an email to hello AT designyourthinking.com with ’Thrive’ in the subject line, and I or my team will be happy to help you get unstuck. Again, the link is designyourthinking.com/thrive.
FREE Podcasting Course
I want to invite you to my new FREE Podcasting course. In this course, I help you with everything you’ll ever need to start your podcast even if you had no clue where to get started. Go to designyourthinking.com/free-course to signup and get access to the course, a video recording quick start guide, and a personal branding guide to help you design your personal brand from scratch. To find out more, go to designyourthinking.com/free-course
You can find more useful resources for audio/video creation or editing and much more on my Resources page.
Read the Manifesto
Season 2 of The Design Your Thinking Podcast is inspired by the DYT Manifesto. Do download a copy of the manifesto here (no email required).