In this Focus Forty episode of The Design Your Thinking Podcast, I talk to Matt LeMay who is a technology communicator, musician, author and the Co-founder of Constellate Data.
Who is Matt LeMay?
Matt LeMay is the co-founder of Constellate Data, a consultancy that helps companies bring human context and complexity back to their data. In his work as a technology communicator, Matt has developed and led product management and data strategy workshops for companies like GE, American Express, McCann, and Johnson & Johnson. Previously, Matt worked as Senior Product Manager at music startup Songza (acquired by Google), and Head of Consumer Product at Bitly.
Matt is also a musician, recording engineer, senior contributor to music website Pitchfork, and the author of a book about singer-songwriter Elliott Smith.
In this particular episode, you will learn
- Why is Matt successful as a product manager?
- How Matt manages staying productive?
- Matt’s secrets in managing the balance between being productive and being creative
- What Matt believes are the top 3 things a Product Manager should be good at
- Matt’s view of how the discipline of Product Management would change in the next 5 years
- How does Matt see the role of a Product Manager evolve in the years to come?
- Conversation about conversations
- Active Listening
- Less “Busy Work”
- Tough to measure productivity
- Group creativity
- Humility in letting the group succeed & reflect
- What is the right scale for this business?
- Revenue model
- Sustainable business
- Product failure is a function of the team designing the product without listening to customers
- Matt’s Twitter handle – @MattLeMay
- Matt’s website – aquestionoffrequency.com
- Matt’s blog link – medium.com/@mattlemay
- Matt’s blog “The Past and Future of Product Management”
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
Join DYT Insider
3 Reasons to Signup:
- Get my Best Work - 30-Day Product Mission eBook, Tiny Book Of Triggers, and more in one bundle!
- Explore my Best Content - Expert Interview analysis, Lessons I teach my students, FREE courses & much more.
- No Nonsense - Actionable Content that matters