Wiebe Wakker drove his electric car from Amsterdam to Sydney, without any money in his wallet and no definite route! His route depended on who offered to host him with food, shelter or charge his electric car. I invited him on the show to understand why.
Who is Wiebe Wakker?
On the 15th of March 2016, Dutchman Wiebe Wakker (December 1986) left Amsterdam with his electric ‘Blue Bandit’ car as part of his project ‘Plug Me In’. Without money in his pocket, it seemed like a challenging task to reach Sydney, his ultimate destination, on the other side of the world. Wiebe asked help from the crowd; on his website, plugmeinproject.com people could select their location on a map and support Wiebe by offering him a meal, a place to sleep, or electricity for his car.
Thousands of people signed up and along the way these offers would determine the route of Wiebe’s record-breaking journey. He drove from Amsterdam to Italy to turn around and drive all the way to the Northcape. Via the eastern parts of Europe, he continued southwards to Turkey and thereafter he crossed the Middle-East, India, and Southeast Asia. With every kilometer traveled his message gains more strength: the lone ranger in the Blue Bandit is the living proof that sustainable mobility is possible.In Indonesia, people throw baby diapers into the river, because the local people there believe that burning diapers will cause rashes in the bottom for babies - @WiebeWkkr #travel #sustainability Click To Tweet
Why Should You Listen to Wiebe Wakker?
There are plenty of reasons why you should listen to Wiebe. Let me give the top 3:
- Wiebe undertakes this adventure as his college final project. The project goes on for 3 years!
- Unlike most other travelers, Wiebe chose to embark on his adventure with no money or no definite route.
- Wiebe uses his skills to stand-up and spread awareness of sustainability and electric vehicles. He does so while having fun.
What You’ll Learn from this Interview?
Wiebe talks about a lot of things in this interview. Here are specific things you’ll learn:
- Why he thinks of doing an adventure like this on the first place?
- How he plans for the adventure?
- Wiebe shares his experience with the first sponsor pitch.
- He talks about the time when the charger in his electric car blasted when he was in India (and there were no spares!).
- Wiebe gives some advice around a simple way to think of marketing your work in today’s world.
and so much more!
How Can You Listen?
Wiebe’s interview is available in audio.
Direct Link to Audio
How to Get In Touch with Wiebe Wakker?
Join the Newsletter
I wanted to take a minute to tell you about my newsletter. If you happen to be running a business, or just getting started, I want to invite you to signup for my newsletter. Every week I share resources, stories, and conversations so we can exchange notes as we build our businesses. So if you are a business owner, entrepreneur, or solopreneur, or whichever way you identify yourself, do signup for the newsletter at designyourthinking.com/newsletter.
Thanks for Listening!
Please do share your thoughts:
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one of them.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
Special thanks to Wiebe Wakker for taking the time to join me this week!