In this episode, Rupa Ganatra Popat talks about her journey from quitting a full-time career as an investment banker to starting an events business and becoming a serial entrepreneur in 6 short years. She today runs one of the most successful conferences across three continents!
Who is Rupa Ganatra Popat?
Rupa is a serial entrepreneur, investor, and board advisor. She is the Founder of FUTR Group, the global event, research and innovation platform on the future of retail, marketing and commerce. She is also co-founder and business partner in the following companies: Unlimited Brewing, the Christmas in July Festival, GiftGuidePortal.com and MadWorld. Mad World Summit & News aims to shift the conversation about mental health in the workplace up a gear; accelerating the shift from stigma to solutions. Christmas in July Festival is the UK’s number one media festival for the retail industry, whilst GiftGuidePortal.com is an online platform for media and influencers to access brand and retailer content.
She is a mentor on the London Mayor’s Business Growth Programme, a Founding Board Member of the UK Guild of Entrepreneurs, a contributor for Forbes, has won several awards including Management Today and the Sunday Times 35 under 35 Women and has been interviewed by the likes of Forbes, Financial Times, Sky News and CNBC. She is also a Board Director at the Ashraya Initiative for Children charity since 2008.Build your network before you need it. @RupaGanatra #entrepreneurship Click To Tweet
Why Should You Listen to Rupa Ganatra Popat?
There are plenty of reasons why you should listen to Rupa. Let me give the top 3:
- Rupa is a career-loving investment banker who worked crazy hours just 6 years ago. She decided to trust herself and took the plunge to entrepreneurship.
- She built her first business from her savings – from her 9 year long career as an investment banker.
- You must certainly not miss all the advice and tips that she shares in the second half of the episode!
What You’ll Learn from this Interview?
Rupa talks about a lot of things in this interview. Here are specific things you’ll learn:
- She talks about her decision to pursue a career in economics and why she decided to take a plunge into business and entrepreneurship.
- Rupa shares her interactions with her father, an entrepreneur himself, and how (and why) she went about starting her first business in mens grooming!
- Her passion for side-projects and how she went about validating these side-projects?
- She shares the backstory behind her closing her men’s grooming business and starting an events business.
- Rupa talks about her first events business and particularly the first summit she did in London (and what led to the expansion to Singapore and New York)
- She shares solid advice for entrepreneurs or first-time entrepreneurs on what to focus on, based on her rapid growth and experience as an entrepreneur, advisor and investor.
and so much more!
How Can You Listen?
Rupa’s interview is available in audio.
Direct Link to Audio
How to Get In Touch with Rupa Ganatra Popat?
Join the Newsletter
I wanted to take a minute to tell you about my newsletter. If you happen to be running a business, or just getting started, I want to invite you to signup for my newsletter. Every week I share resources, stories, and conversations so we can exchange notes as we build our businesses. So if you are a business owner, entrepreneur or solopreneur, or whichever way you identify yourself, do signup for the newsletter at designyourthinking.com/newsletter.
Thanks for Listening!
Please do share your thoughts:
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one of them.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
Special thanks to Rupa Ganatra Popat for taking the time to join me this week.