In this Ferris Wheel episode, I speak with the CEO of The 280 Group, Brian Lawley, where he talks about biggest mistakes Product Managers make, be a holistic product manager and tips for Product Managers to be successful.
Who is Brian Lawley?
Brian Lawley is the CEO and Founder of the 280 Group. He is the author of six best-selling books, Product Management for Dummies, Optimal Product Process, The Phenomenal Product Manager, Expert Product Management and 42 Rules of Product Management and is the former President of the Silicon Valley Product Management Association (SVPMA). He was awarded the Association of International Product Marketing Management Award for Thought Leadership in Product Management, and has been featured on World Business Review and the Silicon Valley Business Report.
Brian is the editor of the Optimal Product Management blog and newsletter. He also writes guest articles for publications such as the Software Development Forum newsletter, Softletter and the SVPMA newsletter. Prior to founding and running the 280 Group, Brian spent many years working on innovative products at world-leading companies. He worked for including Digidesign (acquired by Avid), Apple (Product Manager for the MacOS human interface), Claris, Symantec and Whistle Communications. Brian is a Certified Product Manager (CPM) and Certified Product Marketing Manager (CPMM). He has a bachelor’s degree in Management Science from the University of California at San Diego with a minor in Music Technology and an MBA with honors from San Jose State University.
What you will learn – Holistic Product Manager and more!
- How successful have they been in being able to replicate the results?
- What are the biggest mistakes you see Product Managers and teams make when making and launching products? What do you see as a waste of time in what they do today?
- How have you seen the best product teams approach Product Management?
- What are your favorite books & other resources on Product Management? If people had to teach themselves to make awesome products, what do you suggest they do?
- If you had to coach me for 4 weeks to make and launch a successful product, and you had a million dollars in the line, what would the coaching look like?
- Brian Lawley on the interwebs
- Oprimal Product Process Framework