In this episode of The Design Your Thinking Podcast I sit down with one of India’s top comedians, Atul Khatri to talk about the serious business of Stand Up Comedy, his learnings from transitioning from being a businessman to a stand-up comedian, and the backstories that make him unique (including his training approach for a million dollars!).
Who is Atul Khatri?
Atul Khatri is an Indian businessman who got up late in life and decided to do English Stand-up comedy so that he could tick it off his bucket list. He is an Indian Computer Engineer and a British Management Scholar who always orders soup one-by-two even when he is eating alone. CNN-IBN rated him as one of the top 20 Comedians in India to watch out for. He also won the ‘CEOS GOT TALENT’ trophy competing against 11 other CEOs in 2014.
Why Should You Listen to Atul Khatri?
There are plenty of reasons why you should listen to Atul Khatri. Let me give the top 3:
- He transitioned his career from being a CEO of his IT business to become a Stand Up Comedian in his mid-40s.
- Atul Khatri shares a ton of lessons that will directly help you in your career and life – no matter what profession you are in.
- I actually tempt Atul to outline his training approach if he were to teach me to become a stand-up comedian.
What Does He Talk about in this Interview?
- Why did you quit being a CEO?
- How do you describe yourself today?
- What did you do between the Facebook post and the first open mic?
- What was the joke you did on your first open mic?
- What’s about the age?
- What did you learn/unlearn in transitioning from entrepreneur to solopreneur?
- His experience at CEOs Got Talent
- Where do you stand – orthodox or unorthodox?
- Who do you draw inspiration from?
- How much of a role has your family played?
- How much of a reverse influence you had while you were a CEO?
- Books that influenced you.
- How has your Public speaking improved with Standup comedy?
- Books that influenced you.
- Shrink and the Nut.
- What are some of the biggest mistakes you’ve seen wannabe standup-comedians do?
- What’s been the worst mistake you’ve done thus far?
- How would you teach me to become a standup-comedian?
How Can You Listen?
Atul Khatri interview is available both in audio and video. But here’s a reason why you must listen to both:
- The audio takes a narrative style to walk through many of the key topics (from the previous section).
- The video is an unfiltered conversation (over 60 minutes)
Direct Link to Audio
Direct Link to Video
How to Get In Touch with Atul Khatri?
YouTube: Atul Khatri
Atul Khatri recommends reading this book if you are interested in venturing into Stand Up Comedy.
[page_section color=’#86ac41′ textstyle=’light’ position=’default’]
The Comedy Bible by Judy Carter
Do you think you’re funny? Do you want to turn your sense of humor into a career? If the answer is yes, then Judy Carter’s The Comedy Bible is for you. The guru to aspiring stand-up comics provides the complete scoop on being—and writing—funny for money.
[thrive_split_button left_color=”blue” right_color=”orange” left_text=”Buy on Amazon.in” right_text=”Buy on Amazon.com” left_link=”https://amzn.to/2zLyheu” right_link=”https://amzn.to/2qFmlGV”][/two_third_last][/page_section]
This show is brought to you by Thrive Membership from Thrive Themes. Do you have a website for your personal brand or business or your company? I have one, and it took me just 10 days to get the website up, along with the content. And, I did it all by myself with zero technical abilities to create a website.
In the 10 days, I was able to create a professional website, with email signup forms for lead generation, a complete sales funnel, a course, social network integration from commenting to sharing, and so much more.
It was all thanks to a ton of readymade design templates, ideas and so much more all available out of the box at just $19 per month. That is just under ₹1400 per month if you live in India as I do.
There is not a penny you need to pay more than just $19 per month, and you get access to over 11 powerful tools and over 270 landing page templates from the Thrive Membership toolset. To learn more, go to designyourthinking.com/thrive.
FREE Podcasting Course
I want to invite you to my new FREE Podcasting course. In this course, I help you with everything you’ll ever need to start your podcast even if you had no clue where to get started. Go to designyourthinking.com/free-course to signup and get access to the course, a video recording quick start guide, and a personal branding guide to help you design your personal brand from scratch. To find out more, go to designyourthinking.com/free-course
You can find more useful resources for audio/video creation or editing and much more on my Resources page.
Read the Manifesto
Season 2 of The Design Your Thinking Podcast is inspired by the DYT Manifesto. Do download a copy of the manifesto here (no email required).