In this Topical Zoom episode, I speak with Matthew Strom, who is the co-founder of Planetary, a design agency, to talk about the role of tools in shaping company culture and more.
Who is Matthew Ström?
Matt is a designer and developer. He lives in Brooklyn, New York. He co-founded Planetary four years ago, and is currently leading the design organization. Matt likes to spend his time making art and music with mathematics. He plays ping-pong, and has a dog named Tim.
What you will learn – Company Culture, Tools, Design Management and more!
This topic requires some background. Matthew Ström runs a design agency that’s distributed across the globe and has been successful at it for over 4 years. Working in distributed teams is challenging and in that, doing design work can seem impossible. Matt and his team have mastered the art of working as a distributed design agency, and shares his experience managing talent, culture, tools and their interdependencies.
- Before we started recording for this interview, you talked about the impact processes and tools have on your company and team culture. Can you elaborate?
- You’ve been working with com panies of various sizes now. What are the most common mistakes you see design teams make in the early stages of bringing a product to life?
- What are the lessons you learnt from your transition from a designer to a design manager?
- What’s your advice for designers working with remote teams? How can they increase the odds of success working remotely?
- Matthew Ström on the interwebs
- Twitter @ilikescience
- Planetary on the interwebs
- Spacetime from Planetary : spacetime.am