In this episode, I speak with Bhushan Bagadia, one of India’s leading Underwater Photographers. In this hour-long conversation, Bhushan talks about his love for underwater photography, the way he combined his interests to tell the stories below the blue oceans by diving with sharks, helping conserve the coral reefs, and more. He also shares his approach to teaching underwater photography in 4 weeks.
Who is Bhushan Bagadia?
Bhushan Bagadia is a Photographer and Cinematographer. He took a deep interest in Underwater Photography 10 years back and is also a certified diver. He has dived in many dive sites to photograph sharks and help non-profits who are working to conserve the Coral Reefs.
Bhushan enjoys Sports Photography and does a lot of that when he is not doing Underwater Photography. He was the official photographer for the Mumbai Indians for IPL Seasons 2013 and 2014.
He also is the Co-Founder of Simply Breathe where he organizes Yoga, Diving, and Mindfulness retreats. Bhushan studied filmmaking at the New York Film Academy followed by advanced courses in the School of Visual Arts in New York.
Why Should You Listen to Bhushan Bagadia?
There are plenty of reasons why you should listen to Bhushan Bagadia. Let me give the top 3:
- He chose to take the road less traveled although the reins to his father’s factory and business were waiting for him.
- Bhushan has been an entrepreneur since a very early age and has grown an event management business before choosing to get into photography.
- He takes time to teach some of the finer aspects of what makes him a sought-after photographer and also shares his approach to teaching underwater photography (he doesn’t take classes otherwise).
What Does He Talk about in this Interview?
- Who are you and what you do?
- How did you get into photography?
- What was your first camera and when you picked it up?
- You’ve taken different kinds of photos. What do you look for, when you take a picture?
- What was the Sardines Run all about?
- Weren’t you afraid of being killed by a shark?
- What is your favorite photographic moment? Can you tell us the story behind that picture?
- What do you look for in a picture you create, at a deeper level?
- What does your typical day look like?
- How big is your team?
- What does your camera kit look like?
- How long did it take to have a kit like this?
- Tell me about your experience shooting coral reefs
- How has photography changed with the advent of newer technologies?
- Cameras tech has improved so much. Is it a competition between first vs best?
- Do you see technology as a threat to your profession?
- Who are the people who’ve had a great influence on you and your work?
- How do you learn?
- How would you teach photography in 4 weeks if I gave you a million dollars for doing it?
- Advice for aspiring photographers
- What is one lesson from doing business as a photographer?
- Did you have a godfather?
How Can You Listen?
Bhushan Bagadia’s interview is available in audio.
Direct Link to Audio
How to Get In Touch with Bhushan Bagadia?
Website: www. simply breathe.in
This show is brought to you by Thrive Membership from Thrive Themes. Think about this. Back in the early 2000s, a lot of photographers and creative business owners started using Myspace to showcase their work and also grow their businesses. Jim, was one of them.
But in just a few years, Facebook arrived and a lot of these businesses, including Jim, found themselves in a deserted place and had to literally start from scratch. Jim lost all his leads, customer contacts, and everything else he had going on, inside Myspace. This is bound to happen when you rent a place…like a social media platform, to grow your business and brand.
Here’s something I want you to consider. Take full control of your business and your brand. Bring your customers and leads to your own website. And you can do it all by yourself, without having to spend thousands of dollars on a web agency.
thrive Membership by Thrive Themes can help you do just that. You can have your website, completely from scratch in just a few hours. Thrive Membership comes with a ton of readymade design templates, lets you collect email addresses and 11 powerful tools to build your business presence online. And for all of this, you pay just $19/month. Not a penny more. To learn more about Thrive Membership, go to designyourthinking.com/thrive. I use this personally, and if you have any questions, do drop an email to hello AT designyourthinking.com with ’Thrive’ in the subject line, and I or my team will be happy to help you get unstuck. Again, the link is designyourthinking.com/thrive.
FREE Podcasting Course
I want to invite you to my new FREE Podcasting course. In this course, I help you with everything you’ll ever need to start your podcast even if you had no clue where to get started. Go to designyourthinking.com/free-course to signup and get access to the course, a video recording quick start guide, and a personal branding guide to help you design your personal brand from scratch. To find out more, go to designyourthinking.com/free-course
You can find more useful resources for audio/video creation or editing and much more on my Resources page.
Read the Manifesto
Season 2 of The Design Your Thinking Podcast is inspired by the DYT Manifesto. Do download a copy of the manifesto here (no email required).